Job Pool & Meaningful Service Opportunities
Job Pool Program
The Job Pool Registry is a registry of names of area people interested in working for seniors. The Job Pool is designed to connect seniors who need private hire assistance with people who are willing to provide these services.
This is a private hire situation; Job Pool registrants are not Office for the Aging employees and the OFA does not pay for the hire. Whoever wants the work completed is responsible for checking references, clearly articulating the work to be completed, negotiating a rate of pay, and paying for the service.
We have names for hire under the following categories:
- Shopping & Errands
- Meal Preparation
- Personal Care
- Yard Work
- Snow Shoveling
If you would like Job Pool names sent to you, call Sue @ 867.1415 or Jodi @ 867.1124; they will want to know what kind of help you are looking for (housekeeping, transportation, etc.) & where you live.
If you want to be listed in the Job Pool Registry: see below under "documents" section for the forms that need to be completed & submitted to us or you can call Sue @ 867.1415 or Jodi @ 867.1124 and they will send you a registration package.
All names in the Job Pool have been screened through the Sheriff's Department, but, yes, you should always check their references! Yes, the list of names you will receive will include the persons references.
- Job Pool Applicant Letter
- Job Pool Application
- Job Pool Authorization for Release of Information for Background Check
Employment & Meaningful Service Opportunities
Join our team of dedicated individuals providing service. If you are looking for a meaningful opportunity that meets your schedule, give us a look
Who do we serve? We provide a wide variety of services to Herkimer County residents aged 60 and older. Half of our Meals-on-Wheels clients are age 85 or older, most are women who live alone…our Meals and other services help to keep individuals at home and out of nursing homes.
Opportunities to serve include:
- Meals-on-Wheels delivery ... mileage at the IRS rate and an hourly wage are included (Get paid to exercise!) If this sounds like it fits your bill, you can try us on for size by riding with one of our drivers for a day. We provide service Monday through Friday, but you do not have to drive every day … we also need drivers who substitute for regular drivers on an as-needed basis… We can also have more than one person split a route if we can find you a partner(s).
- Volunteering to assist serving meals to older adults at our community dining sites. We have six (6) sites around Herkimer County so there's bound to be one near you. Sites are in Herkimer, Ilion, Little Falls, Dolgeville, Newport and West Winfield. Here you assist with packing Meals-on-Wheels and serving older adults who eat on-site. This is a wonderful way to keep active, meet new friends, help others, and enjoy a community meal. Once a week or once a month, your schedule is up to you. Our meal site managers are always open to having new volunteers come in and help.
- Advisory Board ... we have a 15 member advisory board that meets nine (9) times a year to review the activities of the agency and assists with planning of services. Members serve on three-year terms and are appointed in October.
- Job Pool ... if you have a desire to assist older adults or have a special talent, consider registering for our Job Pool. People registered in our Job Pool are available to work for older adults with everything from housekeeping, shopping, friendly visiting, transportation, yard work, hairdressing in the clients home, electrical repairs, and small home repairs. When we receive a request for a service, we send names of Job Pool registrants; it is then up to the person requesting the listing to call the Job Pool registrant, interview them, and hire. Job Pool registrants are not employees of the Office for the Aging.
Half of the employees of the Office for the Aging are aged 60 or older and 20% are age 75+. We offer great opportunities for those who are retired and want to give back to the community…a good reason to get up in the morning!