Nutrition Services: Meals-on Wheels, Congregate Meals, Nutrition Education, Nutrition Counseling & Farmer Market Coupons
Services | Links | Documents
Nutrition Services include home delivered meals, congregate meals, nutrition education, nutrition counseling and Farmer Market Coupons. Last year we served over 90,000 meals.
Home Delivered Meals (Meals-on-Wheels): We serve meals throughout the County-from the Old Forge area, south to West Winfield, and Dolgeville/Salisbury to the Utica city line. Some geographic pockets are not served due to low population and distance from the meal site. Meals are prepared by different kitchens; all meals must be served within a 2-hour time frame after they are prepared. A $3.00 donation per meal is suggested.
Congregate Meals: Meals are served at 5 community meal sites around the county: West Winfield, Dolgeville, Little Falls, Herkimer and Ilion. Any senior can attend and enjoy a meal with other seniors. We just need them to make reservations at least one business day ahead (so we know how much food to send!) A $3.00 donation/meal is suggested for seniors; those under 60 can also attend with a $6.60 donation.
Nutrition Education: Meal clients, both home delivered and congregate, receive nutrition education information each month. Newsletter, "Nutrition News" is also on our web site @ www.herkimercounty.org. (We consider our nutrition ed the best in the state! It is appropriate for people of all ages, so feel free to check it out & forward it to others.)
Nutrition Counseling: The Registered Dietitian (RD) meets with seniors to counsel them regarding nutritional issues, special diets, and medication/nutrient interactions. Many seniors are on special diets, such as low fat, low cholesterol, etc. It is often after discharge from the hospital or after their doctor visit that they have additional questions about their diet. Our RD can make home visits or telephone counseling to assist.
Farmer Market Coupons: We distribute Farmer Market Coupons each year, usually in July. To be eligible, must be a senior (at least age 60) and meet income eligibility requirements. Each eligible person in a household can receive coupons.
- FAQ: No, there are no income requirements attached to the meals programs per federal regulations. Meals on Wheels (home delivered meals) are based on NEED (not income) and congregate meals are open to any senior.
- FAQ: Yes, there are eligibility criteria for Meals on Wheels (home delivered meals). And each client is reassessed for eligibility every 6 months.
- FAQ: Yes, each meal we serve must meet 1/3 of the minimum daily requirements set by the government. (This task is much more difficult than one would imagine-take your daily multi-vitamin!)
- FAQ: Yes, our "regular" meals meet a no-added salt diet.
- FAQ: Yes, diabetic meals are available on every meal route and at all congregate meal sites.
- FAQ: The reason Meals on Wheels are sometimes closed during severe weather is to protect the drivers. We need to have them safe in order to deliver meals the following days.
Welcome to Meals on Wheels Brochure
Community Meals Brochure