Adult Protective Services
Adult Protective Services is a service provided to individuals who are:
- 18 years of age or older
- Unable to protect his/her own interests due to lack of awareness or incompetence
- Incapacitated due to a physical or mental impairment
- In danger of being harmed or threatened with harm
- Have an unmet need such as failure to receive adequate food, shelter, or clothing
- Have no one willing or able to assist responsibility
Services Provided by the Adult Protective Services Unit include:
- Identifying such adults who need assistance and have no one willing and able to help
- Assessing the individual's situation and service needs
- Serve as case managers in order to facilitate the involvement of relatives, legal resources, health services, other Department of Social Services, and community agencies
- Assist in arrranging for appropriate alternative living arrangements
- Arrange for guardianships, conservatorship, or other protective placement as needed
- Petition the court for a short term Involuntary Protective Services Order on behalf of certain involuntary clients.
- Function as conservatory, representative payee, or protective payee where it is determined such services are needed.
Cost: There is no charge for Adult Protective Services. Eligibility is not based on income.
Referral Process: Any concerned person or agency may make a referral to the Herkimer County Department of Social Services, Referrals may be anonymous and confidential. An individual may call for help him/herself.