The Commissioner of Social Services is responsible for the burial of any Herkimer County resident that has less than $1,500 in available resources.
A complete funeral shall include:
- Preparation of the body, which includes embalming
- Use of the preparation room
- LIMITED use of the facilities (an evening of calling hours)
- Arrangements and supervision, including personnel
- Standard minimum cloth casket with oval crown
- Religious services at the funeral home
- Necessary sundry items
- The cost of one grave
- The cost of opening and closing one grave (burial is to be in the town of residency unless otherwise pre-authorized prior to burial)
- Winter vault charges
- The cost of a concrete rough box when required by the cemetery
- The cost of cremation
Less than $1,500 in resources.
An application for burial must be filed prior to any arrangements being finalized.
A death notice shall be provided and will be at the expense of family or friends. Upon their failure to provide such notice, the funeral director shall provide one notice in a newspaper of his/her choice.
All available assets must be contributed.